Monday, March 31, 2008

Meet William Charles Zitting

William Charles Zitting was born March 30, 2008 at 5:42 a.m. He weighed a whopping 8 lbs 9 oz, and measured 20 inches in length. The birth was awesome! I'll write more details below the pictures for those of you who are interested.




Okay, here are the birth details: for the past several days I had been having contractions every night--never intense enough to get excited over--for a few hours. On Saturday night, my mom said, "maybe we should just go into the triage to see how he's positioned and how dilated you are." It was close to midnight, but I was pretty awake and not looking forward to going to church after my due date, so I agreed. I was sure they were going to send me home, but at least I'd be able to tell people something at church.

When we got there, a nurse checked me a said I was 5 cm dilated. Now for some history, for those who may not know. When I was laboring with Eliana, I was at the hospital and 5 cm dilated. My contractions stopped, but they wouldn't let me go home. They started me on pitocin, and everything went downhill from there.

The triage nurse said something about getting my room ready, and I panicked and said, "Wait! Can't I just go home?" The nurse looked shocked and said, "you want to go home?!" She talked with the other nurses and said, "we took a vote and decided you should walk for an hour first. If there aren't any changes, you can go home." So I walked for a bit with my mom (Darryl was home sleeping--again because I was so sure I was going to be sent home), then went back to the triage to get checked. To my surprise I was 7 cm dilated! I still wasn't having regular or intense contractions.

We called Darryl at that point, and the hospital called my midwife. I walked some more, then my midwife broke my water. William was born an hour and a half after that. It was a great birth, and he was so alert! We're so glad he's here!

16 comments:

Megan said...

oh SHauna, congratulations! He's adorable, and I love love love the picture of the whole family in your bed. You look amazing already! So happy and healthy. So glad all went well. I can't wait to meet him!

Anonymous said...

I could have squished him all night, So sweet and innocent!! My Grandfather passed away last week so I got o see the end and beginning of life! Bittersweet...

Let me know if you would like me to take Eliana so you can get some rest!

Kristi said...

Oh I can't wait to see him!!! Sorry we haven't been by, we just wanted you to have a little family time in between all of the visitors I am sure you have. I think it is important to have family bonding time especially with Eliana. We would love to make you dinner - I have a few dairy free ideas I will go over with you. Congratulations!!!! Can't wait to see all of you!

Jamie said...

Yeah! Congratulations! It seems like he was a long time coming but he looks fantastic. What a great name! Sounds very strong and manly!

Ruth said...

YAY!! Felicidades! I'm so excited for you guys to start another adventure. I love his name!

Beka said...

oh how beautiful! Happy birthday little William! Shauna you are my hero! Great job! Here are some more exclamation marks!!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing, he's a little teddy bear. Absolutely beautiful! I am so happy to see his pictures, it just makes me want to hold him so bad. Can't wait for my family to get healthy so we can. You did an awesome job. Darryl got a pretty sweet deal out of that whole birth!

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

congrats!! i've been wondering when we were going to hear the announcement. what a sweet little boy.

SHAUNA S said...

congratulations Eliana, we already know your mom and dad are great parents, but now it's your turn to be the best big sister any brother ever had. What a lucky boy!!

PS oh!! congratuations to Shauna and Daryl also. He is beautiful

andi said...

Yippee!! Now we can get some pictures of the real thing and not just the lump he was making from the inside! I love the name. Call me and I will come take more pictures.

andi said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask if he looks like all the other 46 descendants of Betty Jo? I must know! These pictures resemble the Zitting side of the family.

EG said...

Yay! We are so happy for you guys. William is perfect. Billy is especially pleased with your name choice.

Jessica Law said...

Yippee Shauna! Were you not in pain through all of that dialating or are you just tuff as nails. I can't even imagine walking at that point of labor. He is a handsome little guy and we are all anxious to meet him over here. Good luck with all the transitioning and btw, you were VERY lucky to have to sweet Mom with you with her level of expertise with new babies. Love to you all.

shaunita said...

Andi, he is very much a Zitting. His mouth looks like mine, but everything else looks more like Darryl's side of the family.

Jessica, I'm not tough--I really wasn't in pain. I lucked out.

BJPD said...

Andi just told me William Charles (I hadn't heard the middle name choice until now) was on your Zitting blog. I can't wait to see him. Would it work if we came by after conference on Saturday morning? I'll be with Anne, Kjirsten, and Frances, next door. What a wonderful blessing to your family. Love Great-grandma Betty jo.

MarciaAnne said...

Congratulations, he looks good. I am glad you are all healthy and home.