Sunday, June 8, 2008

I had been wondering what to blog about this week. I was debating between documenting the names Eliana has given her dolls, writing about a book I recently read, or posting a recipe. I think I'll start with the recipe, thanks to some inspiration from Eliana.

This recipe was given to me by my aunt Kara, who got it from her friend Rachel. Kara has been eating mostly raw foods lately. She looks healthy and gorgeous. I have recently decided to cut out refined sugars for a while. I wouldn't have thought that possible a few weeks ago, but a couple of things have helped. First of all, I have added dairy and egg back in my diet. William seems to be doing fine, and I feel much better. What does this have to do with cutting out sugar? Well, I think I only have a finite amount of will-power. Not eating dairy was using up the lion's share of that will-power (I also haven't had any soda with caffeine since William was born either), leaving little room for cutting back on sugar. In fact, I think I was over compensating. Normally I'm pretty good about just eating dessert once in a while. Lately though, I found myself eating whole sleeves of oreos at a time (can you believe they're egg and dairy free?!). Not only is that mildly revolting, it did a serious number on my immune system. After three bouts of mastitis and a sinus infection in one month I finally got the message. Kara's yummy recipes have also helped in cutting out refined sugar. Today I made this one:
Chocolate Mint Pudding
ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
1/2 -1 C cocoa powder (baker's variety, no sugar)
1/2 -1 C raw agave nectar (syrup)
1 tsp vanilla or 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil (I did the peppermint version. I highly recommend it)

directions:
Blend everything together (in a Cuisinart or other food processor, if you can). Makes an almost mousse-like pudding. I put some in the freezer, since Kara says it makes great "ice cream".

Don't get weirded out by the avocado. You wouldn't know it was there if you hadn't put it in yourself. Eliana really enjoyed this special treat. She ate some, and then decided to use it for body art stylings while I was cleaning up in the kitchen. Here's what she came up with:

Not her best work, but still lovely. She actually managed to get chocolate in her nostrils. That's talent.

Stay tuned for a post about creative baby naming in the near future.

6 comments:

Kaje said...

MMM! Where do you get agave syrup? I am thinking the barker fam is going to start the raw thing soon..

Right now i'm cutting out eating fist fulls of wheat thins, and cheese. And refined sugar--

Hard, but worth it.

I wish I could give Eliana a big chocolately pudding hug! She's so great!

shaunita said...

KJ--You can buy agave syrup at any health food store. They have it at the harmons by my house as well, in the healthy living section.

Megan said...

hehe! I loved the line about "not her best work" pudding paintings are the best! I should try this...much healthier...and my kids would only have to see the color, and they would be sold!

Unknown said...

I completely cut out Oreos once I worked at Great Harvest. We would grease the bread pans by putting our hands (covered in socks- clean, of course) in a vat of grease and coat the pans. I was repulsed by my glistening hands and then one day someone told me that's how they made the filling of Oreos- just they added sugar as well. I havn't touched one since then. Too bad they didn't say more than just Oreos- I could stand to cut out a whole lot of foods out of my arsenal.

All Arrayed in Spotless White said...

is your zitting family title photo the cliffs of insanity? or is it like a 'where's waldo' and we have to find you guys in it? maybe you are repelling somewhere?

Johnny said...

mmmm...that sounds like a GREAT recipe. We'll definitely have to try it.