Sunday, June 29, 2008

Will's first campout

Darryl had a trial's competition this weekend in Red Creek (up by Strawberry Reservoir), so we decided to camp out up there the night before. We camped in the Ashley National Forest in Duchesne county. It was exceptionally beautiful up there. Our camp-site had a great view of a gorgeous mountain and was nestled among some pretty pines. The kids did great on the drive and generally had fun being outside and playing in the dirt.

There were a few moments like this, however, at first:

But a little juice and snuggling with Mommy made everything A-Okay. I really love my Moby Wrap, by the way. It was especially great for camping. This was the third position I put Will in while we were setting up camp.
Here is Eliana handing me a plate of a gourmet meal she concocted out of dirt and pine needles. Frisbees make great serving dishes.
Anyone who's been camping with the Zittings know they eat well. I remember one time a group of us went backpacking. We got to our destination and started cooking dinner. I boiled some water for the dehydrated meal I brought along, then noticed Darryl eating spaghetti and meatballs (not the dehydrated version, either). He changed my outlook on camping food. Anyway, here's a shot of the veggies we cut up for the fajitas we made:
This campsite had its own pile of nicely cut wood. We made a fire and Eliana had her first S'Mores. She pulled the chocolate off and ate it separately. I tried to convince her that the point was to eat the whole thing together, but to no avail. In her mind it was just a really complicated way to get chocolate.
The next day we broke camp and accompanied Darryl to his "race" (the quotation marks are not meant to be condescending. I just find it odd that they call these competitions "races" because speed isn't a factor at all. They ride their spiffy motorcycles over natural obstacle courses one at a time and keep track of how many times the rider puts his foot down, tips over, kills the bike, etc. The lower the score, the better.)
The kids and I left early, due to no shade, pesky bugs, and hot weather. All in all, we had a great trip.
And now for a random aside: I shaved my legs today. It has been a REALLY long time since I've done that. I have really blond, fine hair, so I haven't bothered to shave in years. I'm not exaggerating. I can't remember exactly when I stopped shaving, but it was over 12 years ago. Seriously. Darryl has never seen me with shaved legs and we met in high school. I don't know what changed today. It was sort of a whim, so I'm not sure if I'll keep up the habit. I'd post a picture, but you'd really have to feel my legs to notice any difference.


6 comments:

Megan said...

sounds like a great camping trip...our camping food has definitely evolved as well! We have some pretty gourmet tin foil dinners! I'm glad things went well!

And should I say congratulations on the shaving legs thing? I hope you don't regret it!

Unknown said...

Wow! I am so glad you posted this! I totally forgot Zitting Camping Cuisine!

Wow- I shaved my legs today, quite an experience! By that, I mean Emmy told me my legs were scratchy yesterday and I found out she was correct. Do you now dare to wear short shorts?

Johnny said...

Oh yeah...I also owe a large change in my outlook of camping food due to the Zittings. I remember that time we were backpacking in the uintahs and had turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing for dinner. It was great. They forgot the gravy, though so I had to polish off the mashed potatoes without it.

All Arrayed in Spotless White said...

can't wait to come along!

Anonymous said...

I see that you put a link to knotheads, you should know that they stole thier business idea and product from trashties.com. Trash ties was created by heather bailey, in which Jessica worked for them a bit. It is a patent product and in no way did Jessica or her husband get permission to sell anything like her product. It is fraud. I hope that heather bailey can take them to court for not being ethical and doing illegal activity. Rethink before you advertise.

DKnotz said...

I see that you put a link to the Law’s family Blog/Knot heads Blog or business on your family’s blog and I just wanted you to know that the knotheads’ company has been based on lies and fraud. Their product is a stolen idea, a stolen business plan, stolen marketing ideas, etc. Trash ties, a patent product is the real deal and was created almost ten years ago by a well known designer Heather Bailey. They have their own website trashties.com… Jessica law is in no way affiliated with or had permission from Trash Ties. Just beware of their company and the lies that have come with it. If you look at the poses and some of the pics at knotheads’ website …much is the same as trash ties. Trash Ties is the Original and creator of all of us, in which, Jessica Law stole from. Just check out the truth.