Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Hero for the day

We enjoyed having Darryl home for the long break (he had Dec 25-Jan 4 off), despite all of us fighting various illnesses. It's been a little tough adjusting to his long work hours again. To make the contrast extra stark, Darryl's car is out of commission, so I have been stuck at home ALL day. At times like this I really miss my old neighborhood. There were so many more places within walking distance (though, to be honest, I don't think I would have ventured out much in the freezing temperatures up there right now).

Anyway, tonight I called Darryl at 7:00 pm and found out he wasn't going to be leaving work for awhile. Will was asleep and I was getting restless. So I said to Eliana, "would you like to have some ice cream with me?" She gave me a look of utter amazement and said, "you said yes I could have some ice cream?!?!?!?!"

"yea, let's have some ice cream," I replied. She was so happy! I was glad that something so small could make both our days.

2 comments:

Amy Hummel said...

Calvin is having a rough time adjusting too. Last night, I started to put his pajamas on and he started freaking out. "Where'd daddy go? Where'd daddy go?" Because he had scouts too, he didn't get home until all the kids were fast asleep.

Right now calvin is sitting eating yelling "daddy, daddy, daddy!"

Kristi said...

It is always the small things that makes kids the happiest. Don't you love it?!