Today was one of those days. It started innocently enough. We went through are morning routine with no major mishaps. We went to the park after lunch and played on the playground, fit for the cover of a parenting magazine. We came home for Will's nap, and then the breakdown occurred. The rest of the day played out like the before shots on Nanny 911, complete with my darling little girl shouting "SHUT-UP WILL!!" in her evil voice. She refused to go to her room (or anywhere else) for time out, so I had to put her in the crib by force (this happened several times today).
The doctor's office was disastrous. Somehow, Eliana got it in her head that she was getting shots, and wouldn't believe me that she didn't need any. She was stressed out, and therefore acting out all over the place. She even stayed extra long in the bathroom (when the doctor was ready to see her), claiming she still needed to go a little bit more. She nearly succeeded in avoiding the entire check-up (Doc. kindly offered to not charge me this visit and let me come back another time), but after a bribe of two suckers and four stickers he got the job done.
We had planned to go to a dance class after for a trial session--with the blessing of hindsight, it's obvious that I should have bagged it and gone home. We got there just in time for class to start. I stayed for the first bit, then ducked out into the hall. She had fun, and the teacher was pretty positive, but she said, "she just needs a little discipline. I've taught kids like this before. Once we get them under control they do fine." Now, part of the reason I wanted her to start some sort of structured activity was to give her practice listening to other adults, but still I felt a little defeated. Like I've failed her already.
Good thing it's girl's night tomorrow. I really need it.
5 comments:
oh my...it's like living through Hannah at that age all over again. The similarities are eerie. At least the dance teacher didn't ask you not to bring her back...(yes, that happened with Hannah, though I agreed with the teacher, she wasn't just being mean!)
Ahhh, sha na na! What a day! I feel for you... in my house that seems more like the norm than a blog worthy posting
I feel for you Shauna, I'm sorry! I took Cohen to the library a few months ago and he was crazy! I think he's calmed down a bit so I'm going to try it again soon.
So sorry to hear you had a terrible day. Just remember you aren't the only one - we all have them - so no, you have not failed Eliana. That is just life with kids. You've met Lincoln and you know he needs a little dicipline also, but what else is there to try? Hope today is a better day!
thanks for the comfort and understanding, everyone.
Post a Comment