Sunday, April 13, 2008

Two weeks, and real tears


They're not just mine either. William shed his first tears today during a screaming episode when I was trying to pick Eliana up from church. I realized that Darryl can never be called as an apostle (a position in our church), because he will never be able to say, "and throughout all the years that my wife was raising our children and I was away on church assignments I never once heard her complain..." which seems to be standard protocol for that calling. Today as he was helping me load Eliana in the car after nursery and William was wailing away in his car seat I told him I thought God would understand if he needed to come home early to help me instead of being away from home until 5:00 pm doing church responsibilities. I think he sensed my desperation and was home by 1:30.


Now, in my defense I feel I need to explain some things. William seems to be, by nature, a very mellow, happy kid, but he has recently been suffering from a lot of pain. My best guess is that he also has GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease, for those of you fortunate enough to not be familiar with the term). Eliana had to take Prevacid from about two weeks on, but I had kind of hoped that her reflux was more a symptom of her dairy and egg allergies. So with William I cut out dairy and eggs as soon as he was born. I cut out soy on Thursday-- I am quickly running out of things to cut out of my diet--and he still wants to nurse all the time, arches his back, hates being placed on his back, spits up every time we change his diaper after a feeding, has a tight tummy, and cries like his life depends on it. It's very frustrating, because almost nothing seems to soothe him. It's not just during the typical "colicky" hours either--it's ALL DAY LONG!


Okay, I feel better now. I think I'm done complaining.

5 comments:

Beka said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I totally have had that SAME feeling about husbands who say that about their wives. Take Jake out of the running too. He could never say that I've never complained. The best I could hope for is "I feel she was completely justified in all her whining and murmering."
So sorry little William's not feeling well. I hope you get some rest. I need to come and see you and take him for the day.

Megan said...

oh Shauna, I'm so sorry! I have thought the EXACT same thing about apostles wives. I complain about Rick being in young men's! So sorry about the reflux. Poor kid. Poor you. I hope things get better soon. Do you have a doctor's appointment soon?

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

blah! don't sundays suck sometimes?..(although you never heard that from me!) nursing is great in a lot of ways, but i just can't wait to get my body all the way back and not have to worry about every little thing that goes in it. i remember at the beginning looking at all the papers about what foods affect your milk-basically you can't eat anything. so frustrating!! good luck and hope things go better for you.

Jamie said...

Ohhhh. What a bummer. BTW, thanks for the neti pot suggestion. Bought one and have been using it since Thursday. My sense of smell has almost completely returned and didn't have any stuffiness last night. The vinegar was helping but I didn't feel like it was kicking it very well. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you and I could hang out together with crying babies. I am sorry he is dealing with pain. It makes my heart ache when they cry and cry. We sleep on our tummies at this house too. Do to all the tummy aches.