Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Grand Canyon trip (rim to rim!)

Darryl and I went on a back-packing trip with our friend Merril Campbell to the Grand Canyon. I actually remembered to bring a camera, but it ran out of batteries (thankfully before we started the hike, so I didn't have to haul the extra weight for nothing).

We drove to the South Rim (where I hadn't been for years), stopping to eat a delicious and gigantic Navajo taco on the way (the guys teased me because I chose the vegetarian option). Merril's father-in-law dropped us at the trailhead and drove our car back to Merril's house.

The hike was beautiful! We camped at the bottom of the canyon and slept under the stars. It was a perfect night for sleeping out. The campground had flushing toilets, which was unexpected and wonderful. The guys were impressed with the female ranger at the campground who was packing a taser, handcuffs, and a handgun. We woke before dawn and started the hike out. The first nine miles inclined very gradually. We took a side trip to see Ribbon Falls, which was so picturesque I was lamenting my useless camera. The last five miles were very steep, but still beautiful.

The trail has potable water every few miles so we didn't have to use water purifiers. At one of the water stops, we were talking to a guy who was guiding a group of older women on the trail. We got talking about how there are a lot of people in St. George that speak foreign languages because they served missions. Darryl said, "yeah, in fact I speak Guarani, and you've probably never even heard of that language!" At which point the guys started speaking IN GUARANI! Turns out he was a Peace Corps volunteer in Paraguay and lived in one of the cities Darryl served in. Small world, eh?

We finished the hike sooner than we'd planned, so Merril decided to hitch-hike home. Darryl and I got a ride from a Canadian to the camp ground near the lodge, then walked the rest of the way to the lodge. My dad met us there and drove us back to our car.

It was an awesome trip. I've wanted to hike the Grand Canyon rim to rim since I was 17 or so. I'm glad I finally got the chance.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

As soon as merril showed me the pictures, I meant to email some to you. Merril has several of you and darryl. I'll try to remember to get them off his phone and over to you. Hold me to it and don't let me forget. P.S. Had to re-read Jane Eyre and have since watched the BBC version on Youtube. I've been useless for days.

shaunita said...

Ha ha! I've been making myself not re-read the book until I'm done working. I'd love copies of the pictures Merril took.