Life has not been all stitches and instacare visits. Here's a quick rundown on our family, youngest to oldest.
unborn babe: doing great. She moves a lot, especially late at night. She moves every time I sing and whenever the kids or Darryl talks to her through my belly. She's fond of pushing on my bladder at the moment, which makes life extra fun.
Will: Currently stitch free, knock on wood. He plays outside as much as he can and loves riding his bike. He's learned how to lift his handle bars to do a "wheelie", and often refers to his bike as his motor cycle. He is officially potty trained, and is accident free most days. He loves playing with Eliana and Hank (a neighbor kid).
Eliana: Loves preschool and dance class. She rides her bike down the dirt hills (formed from empty lots) in our neighborhood. She's recently discovered addition and skip counting, and entertains herself in the car by adding numbers. She also tries to count to 100, though she needs help every now and then (my favorite are the 70s. She often counts like this, "seventy-one, seventy-two, seventy-three, seventy-forty, seventy-fifty, seventy-sixty...etc." She also likes playing the piano (she plays by ear. She'll only let me teach her a concept here and there, so she's mostly self-taught. I can't make myself pay for lessons when I can teach her myself). She plays a lot of primary songs, Beethoven's 'ode to joy', and regular little kid songs.
She amazes me every day. She's so talented in so many way, yet already I see in her the need to be perfect at everything. She gets frustrated when she can't do something--even if the things she can do are incredible. I'm trying hard to teach her the difference between doing your best and being the best . I'm not sure I'm doing a very good job. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I've already gone on longer than intended, so I think I'll save reports on Darryl an myself for another day.
1 comment:
You know I'm raising one of those perfectionists myself. If it eases your mind, he seems to have gotten a little better about making mistakes the older he gets. I think it's because he can do more things well now, so he's starting to understand that mastery comes with time. We are still hitting a wall with shoe tying, however. He refuses. But He'll deal with that kind of attitude his whole life. The best thing I've found to do is let him learn at his own pace and not force things that don't matter. I don't know if that's the best thing, but it's what I've found works best. Hopefully that helps. Feel free to pass along any wisdom you've gained.:)
Post a Comment