Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lake Powell












We went to Lake Powell this weekend to hang out with the JERCS. I love Lake Powell. I haven't been there in years, but it still occupies a special place in my heart because we went there as a family so often when I was a child. My dad and grandpa always said, "the only rule at Lake Powell is have fun!" I remember being amazed and humbled at how many billions of stars dotted the night sky. I loved the stark contrasts there: hot air, cool lake; red red rocks, blue blue water and sky. I loved feeding ice cream to the carp, sleeping on the boat (I even semi-enjoyed the sensation of my sweaty skin pealing off the seats), bouncing up and down on the bow, and of course, water skiing, wake boarding, tubing, etc.
I was excited to take my own children to Powell, and hoped that they would fall in love with the place as well. I think we're well on our way. They had a lot of fun. Eliana loved playing in the water, finding "sea shells", playing in the sand, and staring at the water while riding on the boat. William tried hard to be in the water at all times. I had to keep a close watch on the boy. He loved playing in the sand (and eating it too), and was thrilled to be on a boat.
They both had so much fun playing with their relatives (thanks Brookie, Madison, Danny, Louie, and friends for being such good sports), and we had fun too. The kids slept like champs in the tent. I had a harder time (especially the second night, thanks to one particularly obnoxious party girl who had THE LOUDEST VOICE EVER and repeated the same disgusting phrase about eight times in a row...but I digress).
I meant to take a long exposure shot of the stars, but I fell asleep while putting the kids to bed the second night and missed my opportunity. I guess we'll have to go back...maybe without the party girls, though :)

10 comments:

Mary said...

It sounds like y'all had fun. I'm way jealous!

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

it looks so fun!! my family just got back too and we wish we could enjoy that beautiful lake too. love the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... pary with the jercs! Next time you go invite us! I haven't been since before Cohen was born... over 4 years... the whole party scene and a certain sister in law declaring that no kids were allowed has been the reason we haven't gone... I miss it.

Jamie said...

I love Powell. Lone Rock is kind of a party beach. Hope you still had fun!

Kristi said...

I wish I would have known you guys were going! Tommy and I really, really, really wanted to go but Tommy needed to work and we thought nobody else was bringing kids. We went two years ago and it does get pretty loud sometimes - we had somebody that liked to ride thier 4 wheeler behind our tent. Maybe we need to plan another (more family friendly) trip with the family but not so many party girls???

Jennifer Darger said...

That sounds like so much fun! I have been aching to go to Lake Powell this year but I am also terrified of taking the kids around so much water. So happy you got to go!

karencita said...

Ah! que lindo!! es ese lugar que fuimos cuando estuve allà? no podia recordar el nombre!!
Me alegro mucho que lo pasaron bien!!


cariños


tia karen

Angie said...

You know I'm curious about what the disgusting phrase was now. Anyway, I have to tell you how I love your description of peeling your sweaty legs from the seat.

andi said...

I assume the Jerks ... er, I mean JERCS are relatives?? That is SO Seriously-So-Blessed. Only TAMNers would have called it Pal and not Powell.

http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com/

LOVE YOU>

Beka said...

Yes...the only trouble with night-sky photography is that you have to be up late enough to catch it...and I never am. Sorry about the party girls. I guess everyone has their own idea of fun. :)