Monday, June 15, 2009

Pumpernickel, etc.

Here are some pictures I have taken recently. First, I was playing around with the settings on my camera trying to get a picture of a rainbow by our house.
I snapped a picture of William while my camera was out.
These little bugs are all over the place lately. I think they were introduced to kill the tamarisk bushes by the river. Eliana enjoyed playing with it.

I made pumpernickel bread the other day from my Artisan Bread in 5 Minute a Day book. It was quite good. Eliana had never had pumpernickel bread before, but loved saying the word. In fact, at a church activity in December the little kids her age were in a circle answering "get to know you" questions. The teacher asked the children what they had for breakfast. One kid said fruitloops and every other little kid said the same thing--until it was Eliana's turn. "Pumpernickel!" she shouted with glee. She really had Cheerios. Anyway, she was excited about making the bread. Both she and Will loved the actual bread as well. I wasn't sure they would like it, since it's a far cry from white bread. But, when you have a hippie-mom, you end up liking feta cheese, hummus, and pumpernickel (among other weird things).

We (Darryl, the kids, and my sister Jessie) went to Zion on Saturday and hiked the overlook trail at the Court of the Patriarchs (about 1 block long), and Weeping Rock trail. I brought an umbrella stroller along in case Eliana wanted to be carried, but she walked almost the whole way. It was raining when we parked our car, so I didn't take my camera. Of course it was sunny the whole time we were hiking. :)
Afterwards we went to a BBQ at a friend's house. I took some pictures of the kids, mainly for my mom who is in China for 10 days.

Here is William's big-mouth cry.


4 comments:

Mary said...

I can notice an improvement in your pictures. Not that you were bad before, but they look more professional (to the untrained eye). Nice work on the pumpernickel--I'm definitely not brave enough to try that with Benji!

Elaine said...

i love your photos. it's so fun to see them progress.

pumpernickel memory: i remember once i flew into st. george with my dad and your dad picked us up from the little airport on top of the mesa. on the way back to your house, i told your dad what i knew to be the truth (my source being some very trustworthy 8 year old boy): that the word pumpernickel meant "goblin fart". I was so convinced, I argued with your dad for upwards of 5 minutes before realizing that perhaps he was right: I was gullible and had been duped.

ha ha.

Elaine said...

update:
I just looked it up and indeed, there is some etymological truth to my claim!

"in the vernacular, Pumpen was a New High German synonym for being flatulent, a word similar in meaning to the English "fart", and "Nickel" was a form of the name Nicholas, an appellation commonly associated with a goblin or devil"

hahaha. if only i had google at my fingertips as an 8 year old.

The Johnsons said...

Your kids are looking so grown up! And we WILL be in town for the 4th. Are you still planning on running the 10k? I am not having much luck getting past the 3-4 mile mark so I may wimp out and do the 5k. I'll double check with Kurt but I'm 99% sure we'll be at the Whitaker reunion. Are you guys staying in Provo for a few days or something??