Eliana frequently asks why these days. Sometimes it doesn't even make any sense. Example--
E: Who's that guy? (pointing to some random person in the store)
Me: I don't know.
E: Why?
Me: Because I haven't met him
E: What's his name?
Me: I don't know, because I don't know him.
E: Why?
Me: (getting more and more frustrated) why don't you pick a name for him. You get to choose.
Two weeks ago we had this conversation in church. It all started during testimony meeting when a woman stood to bare her testimony--
E: Mom, what's her name?
Me: I don't know, honey.
E: What's her name?
Me: I haven't met her yet. Maybe we can ask her later.
E: Maybe her name is Rex.
Me: Maybe, but probably not.
E: Maybe her name is Sarah.
Me: Maybe. I'll ask her later. (Her name was Sally. Pretty good guess, eh?)
Anyway, sometimes the question game loses it's appeal. Today in the car we had this conversation while listening to one of Eliana's favorite songs--
E: Mommy, I want water
Me: It's in your car seat.
E: Huh?
Me: It's right next to you.
E: Huh?
Me: It's in the car seat, next to you.
E: What?!
At this point I'm quickly losing my patience. I turned off the music and said--
Me: look in your car seat. Right next to you.
E: huh?
Me: your water is right next to you. If you want it, pick it up and drink it.
E: No mom, I want it L-O-U-D-E-R (enunciating clearly and slowly for me).
Me: oh, sorry. I'll turn up the music a little. :)
7 comments:
That sounds a lot like lily. It gets hard to be patient with all the "why's" sometimes. She even does the "hu?". It drives me nuts!
I like the louder conversation. Hopefully we'll see you tonight!
Ha Ha! I love the "water" story! That happens with Lincoln all the time because he doesn't pronounce his "s" at the beging of words (ex: snow sounds like know). Gotta love kids!
lmao, Love it! Cohen's been saying what's that mama? but no why questions yet.
I also get his words wrong. He's been thinking there's monsters in his room, or monsters in the dark lately, probably from all the scary Halloween displays we see at the stores, and I keep thinking he's been saying water too! He says it like wansters and it sounds similar to waters. poor kid this is going to be a challenge to help him understand there isn't monsters.
Hey, your coming up soon huh? don't let me forget, let us know if you would like any help. I start my job tonight working weekends!
I feel your pain on trying to be patient when the WHY doesn't end! I have a niece who is 6... she doesn't ask that too much anymore, so there obviously is a light at the end of this tunnel!
My girls both always ask "Why." And Halle wants to know the ins and outs of everything! Tonight we were driving past the liquor store and she asked what it was. When I said something about alcohol, I braced myself for another question. She thought a minute, and said, "Mom needs to go buy some alcohol for us." If she only knew how much that was true... :) Also, she has to know everyone's names too and always wants me to make one up for them. So I thought it was funny that you mentioned it.
Hey! You're kids are SOOOOO cute!!! It was great seeing you last night, I've missed you so much!
My blog is at www.kdjacobson.blogspot.com
Post a Comment