Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Oh so shocking

Have you ever had a list of things you've been meaning to get around to, but for some reason or other have put off? We have quite a long list of little things that need to be done around the house, one of which is to install light switch covers in a few spots.

Today that little task jumped the cue to become a priority. I was washing dishes and reached to turn on the disposal (one of those pesky switches that needs a cover--mainly because the blankety blank guy who owned the house before us decided to tile the counter tops with floor tile, so putting a cover on is going to be a bit tricky), missed the plastic switch, and was jolted with 60 Hz of current!

Now, I know that water and exposed wire don't mix, but I've always been careful, and until now have flipped that switch with wet hands many a time without incident. Darryl thought it was funny that I had never been shocked with 60 Hz before (we had very different childhoods), but felt bad about not having installed the cover sooner.

At least now I can cross "getting shocked" off my list of exciting things to do before I die.

8 comments:

Megan said...

ouch! I had to laugh at the comment about darryl being surprised that you hadn't been shocked before...ah, those zitting boys...I will never forget the story of him and his brothers sawing the arms off his mom's new sofa. Good stuff. I'm glad that you are OK< and that you will be getting a cover on that switch!

Jamie said...

Ah, being shocked. Did that once wiring a fan. I could actually feel the alternating current surge through my fingers. Weird feeling. I'm sure I'll get buzzed when we finish wiring the basement. Merril says 240V really bites.

shaunita said...

Ooo! 240V would be pretty crazy. 120V was intense enough. I hope you make it through the basement wiring without too much electricity coursing through your body!

Jessica Law said...

Hey Shauna, I have been getting your comments and finally made it over here to check things out in your world...Looks like Eliana is as precious and happy as ever and that you are still making wonderful progress on your home. You need to post more pics of before and afters...I dig that stuff. We have to find a way to get these kiddos together too. Maybe after we have our babies huh? Good luck with the end of your pregnancy.

Johnny said...

I was also laughing about darryl's astonishment. Yeah, I once got a really big shock while plugging a dryer into a 220V outlet. That was a lot bigger than the 120V stuff I had felt before.

andi said...

Well, that sure explains a lot about Darryl. Mystery solved.

I am glad you were around after the shock to cross it off your list.

BTW - I think I am going to St.George. Any chance I will see you down there this weekend?

shaunita said...

I think we'll be up here this weekend. I'd like to get one more trip in before the baby comes. We'll see how that works out. My parents should be around, though.

Anonymous said...

I got a super huge laugh out of this post by the way! I've never really been shocked too bad. Usually if I do, it's because Jared was trying to play a trick on me.