Saturday, November 26, 2011

First sleepover

Eliana wanted to sleep over at the Ranch with cousin Chloe and her family last night.  I tried to convince her to let Chloe sleep at our house, etc., but she really wanted to have a sleepover somewhere else.  Darryl and I fully expected to drive out to the ranch sometime during the night to pick her up, but she was a champ.  She had a great time with her cousins.  It was really weird to not have her in the house.  As an aside, I am not a huge fan of sleepovers, and plan to be the mean mom who won't let her kid sleep at friends' houses.  I'm not entirely sure how I feel about cousins sleepovers, so I was a bit unprepared when she asked.  Looks like I better come up with a position quickly.  What are YOUR thoughts about sleepovers?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have already had to be the mean mom that doesn't allow sleepovers. I just don't think anything usually happens late at night that is very good. I have allowed Em to sleep over at Grandma's house and her cousins. I have also allowed cousins to sleep at our house, but that is the hard line we have drawn. Absolutely no sleepovers with friends. I am happy to allow them to have "late nights" where we plan an evening where they can play, but it wraps up by 10. I have found that it works well. They get to participate in the "sleepover activities" (pizza, movies, games, silly stories...) without having to stay in someone else's house.

Jennifer Darger said...

We let our girls stay with cousins we are close to (Barbie,Ruthie, my sister, etc) and grandparents, but absolutely no friends' houses. ESPECIALLY if there is a dad or older brothers home. We do the same thing and let them stay until about 9 or 10pm, then pick them up.

shaunita said...

I like the late night idea. I'm glad I'm not the only one uncomfortable with my child sleeping in someone else's house.

Jamie said...

Absolutely no sleepovers with friends is our policy. Grandma takes the girl cousins for sleepovers sometimes. All the sleepovers I went to as a kid always had some sort of inappropriate activity. I'm just not comfortable with the idea.

Rachael said...

I think there are a lot of alternatives that can be just as good. As a child, I never slept well anywhere else besides home, so it seems like you could have everything that had the appearance of a sleepover, without the sleep over part: she could be in her jammies, watch movies, eat treats, and then come back at 9 or 10:00 (or thereabouts-- when do kids go to bed these days if they aren't 2?)
But I have read too many accounts of weird stuff happening at other people's houses, or read cases of kids getting molested. It only takes once...

F-A-N-G-U-P-O said...

For me, sleepovers with cousins is perfectly fine....especially since my kids are like brothers/sisters with their cousins. I've never really thought about friend sleepovers....but I know my parents never let me sleep at a friends house until I was older and they knew my friend, and her family really really well! It's always better to be safe than sorry! I'd for sure be much more comfortable having my kids friends sleep at my house!