I looked up the date of the last stitches for Mr. Will. And guess what? The accident occurred on September 13, 2010. This gash? November 13, 2011. Notice any similarities?
So here's the story. Will was sitting oh-so-quietly in our stake conference (church meeting) looking through a book of hymns. The book slipped out of his hands and he dove to catch it. His head connected with the corner of the box that holds the hymnals. I heard the SMACK! and knew there would be blood. Darryl whisked him out of the chapel and into the hallway to assess the damage. A minute or so later, a nice woman approached our pew and told me that my husband was taking my son to the hospital. I ducked out to give Will a kiss and trade keys before they took off (I was leading the music, so I stayed with the girls).
After the meeting, at least four different people shared stories about THEIR kids receiving head-wounds from the same little boxes. So I ask you...in a church that encourages children and bringing them to worship services, why not store the hymnals under the bench? Or at least round the corners? Maybe I can convince some kid trying to earn his Eagle Scout to fix the problem for his project. I can see the Ensign story already..."after several children were injured by the hymn boxes in his building, young Sam decided to take action..."
Until then, maybe we had better start sitting on the front row.
1 comment:
I've never heard of anyone smashing their heads on hymnal boxes. Interesting. So far, my kids have avoided sharp corners pretty well, no stitches yet. I'm sure the time is coming, the odds are stacking up against me.
Post a Comment