First, note the backwards question mark. Maybe it comes from all the Spanish she's been exposed to? Then comes the alphabet. The notes at the end of the alphabet are for the "Now I know my ABCs/Next time won't you sing with me, " part. She drew notes for each beat of the phrase.
Then, she wrote out the words to "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star"--you know, since she was already humming the tune for the ABC song. She got a little lost in places, but did a great job considering she had to sound out each word, then sing the song back to her place to sound out the next word.
Here's a transcript: "TWENCL TWEL LITL STR/ HAW I WUNDR WUT U R/ UP ABUV THE WRLD SOW HIY/ LI...TWT LTL STR/ HAW I WUNDR WUT U R"
She also drew a star at the end.
I love watching her sound out words and try to figure out written language. As she's learned more sight words, her writing is getting less like code and more like real English. I want to remember these early attempts, because I love the creativity involved--and the misguided faith that phonics rules are followed in written English.
*note: I had to correct three misspelled words in the body of this post :)
1 comment:
I have always believed in the true Genius of Eliana.
We are experiencing our own miracle of language here too. Not written so much-- but Anna loves the alphabet and she can say so much after just hearing a word once. In fact, she has been saying whole phrases and sentences (short ones, granted). It makes me want to work hard as her mom because I just want the ball to keep rolling....
Post a Comment