Monday, April 25, 2011

Ode to Easter

Okay, so I'm not really going to compose an ode to Easter. But, it is one of my favorite holidays. I love the religious meaning of the day AND the pagan celebration. In the northern hemisphere they combine together so nicely.

Winter is over, life begins anew. Let's celebrate color, warmth, light, LIFE! What better way to remember the gift of the Resurrection than by honoring the symbols of spring?

I love Christmas for the fusion of celebrating the birth of Christ and the winter solstice. Just when the world is darkest, we celebrate Light and Love.

I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the seasonal elements of these holidays until I lived in South America. It all seemed so wrong! Who needs Christmas in summertime? Summer is already filled with happiness and warmth. And Easter in autumn? It's just plain depressing. I found myself thinking more about death and the crucifixion than rebirth and renewal.

I think I am really tied to the natural world. I also found myself directionally disoriented when I first changed hemispheres as well. I was 180 degrees off. I would be sure I knew where north was and I was more than a little freaked out that I pointed due south every time. The same thing happened when I came home (only then I at least had familiar markers so I wouldn't get lost).

SO! Here's to Easter in the spring! Flowers and eggs and bright colors and new dresses all help us remember that just as winter does not last forever, neither does death.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Beautifully said!

Mary said...

I like the way you put it. Many people complain about the commercialization of the holidays. I don't like the focus on the bunny or on Santa, but I love the traditions.