Monday, July 26, 2010

Fremont Indian State Park

We took an impromptu vacation this weekend to a nearby state park. I first heard of this park through a great book my parents gave me called the Best Hikes with Children in Utah by Maurine Keilty. The book has yet to disappoint.

I found this park to be great for families. The campground was beautiful--lots of trees, great views of mountains, a little stream running through (perfect for splashing, yet not deep enough to be dangerous), flushing toilets, water spigots, firewood (for purchase), etc.

The museum is free for campers and has a great children's discovery section. Also, the day we arrived the museum had a free workshop for kids explaining the difference between petroglyphs and pictographs, some of the symbols, how to take care of the drawings...and the kids each got to make their own bit of "rock art" to take home.

The trails are short and varying in difficulty. We went on several. There was plenty for the kids to see, and they were challenging enough to wear them out.

Each night we were there the museum staff held a campfire discussion at the campground (I'm not sure if these happen every weekend, or if it was just for the holiday). We learned about coyotes in Native American culture, and tracks and scat of local wildlife.

My only complaint is that I forgot my camera (AGAIN)!!

2 comments:

Rachel Doyle said...

That's sounds fun -- I'll have to do this with my little ones.

Rachael said...

I can't believe I lived in Utah for 28 years and never went there. I will rectify that the next time I visit!