We recently sold our beloved Honda CR-V and bought *gulp* a GMC Yukon. I really struggled over the decision to buy the car in the first place. My reasoning was thus: We plan on having more children at some point, so the CR-V would soon be too small for all the car-seats. Darryl wanted something that could pull his motorcycle trailer and a future boat. It seemed to make sense to buy one car that could hold more kids AND pull stuff than to buy a truck and a mini-van. Also, I had real reservations about driving a super-polluting car, but we planned to convert it to natural gas, making it slightly less evil. :)
So we found a cheap used Yukon. It had less than 60,000 miles, and seemed to be in good condition. But, it turned out to be quite the lemon. We've had more problems with it in the month or so we've been able to drive it than we had in 5+ years in the Honda.
Now I understand why American automakers are in trouble. I mean, come on! This car is poorly engineered. I could go on and on about its flaws, but let me just give you one example. We had to pay big bucks to fix the rear A/C after we bought it (the previous owner did NOT disclose this detail). The other day we were driving to the mountains to look at the leaves when SSSSSSSSS! Smoke started coming from the hood. We stopped immediately. The A/C (front and rear now) no longer works due to some problem (I am not mechanically literate).
Will was asleep in the car when it happened, but Eliana got out and explored while Darryl investigated the car's innards.
The smoke created a nice flare for the picture.
It looked like a dog had been investigating the bones as well. (I'm not the best tracker, so if someone knows better, feel free to leave a comment displaying your wisdom)
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I feel better.
10 comments:
so bummed about that car...I hope you can find some sucker...er, I mean, prospective buyer.
Love the incidental learning...it tends to mean more that way!
Jeez that stinks! We've had a ton of car trouble lately so I know how that stinks, but when you just bought it. arggggggggggg. Sorry.
I'm so sorry! I feel like I somehow steered you towards the car because when you asked how I liked the Tahoe, I said, "it's always been a great, reliable ride." (It's always been a gas guzzler though.) I'm sorry it hasn't been great for you guys.
Sorry about the car. I am all over Toyotas and Hondas for the rest of my life, and both Richard and I are committed to never owning an ATV or a boat, so hopefully I can keep supporting some other country's economy!
By the way, sorry I didn't call you back. We had a family crisis that Saturday. It kind of sucked! But I want to talk to you about how to get baby's to nap during the day when they do not do it naturally on their own!
I'm sorry about the Yukon. My brother and sister-in-law just sold theirs and got a Scion. Yeah, it's smaller, but so are the payments and the environmental impact. I don't know what I will do when we need to up-size. ~shudder~
Ugh! Sorry to hear about your new vehicle - car problems always suck, but even worse when it is new to you. Hopefully you can figure something out soon. Miss you guys!
Yeah, that sucks about the car. The fan in my A/C went out last month. I have yet to get it fixed. We've had nice weather too, but it will be a lot colder here than where you live, so I'd better get on that.;)
Cars are lame. Why haven't we moved to something better? It's a conspiracy, I tell you! Darn oil cartels and car manufacturers.
ugh! I'm so sorry it's been a lemon. I agree with Angie. Why have we not figured out telekinesis yet?? We've been on the MOON for crying out loud!
Hey when do you want to do pictures?? I discussed it with Megan just to make sure she was cool with it, and she is. Cuz she's cool. I'll call you or something. I just wanted to let you know I was excited. :)
Post a Comment