Yesterday I received a postcard reminding Eliana that it was time for her dental check-up. She was excited to get mail, and loved seeing her name on the card. I asked her if she wanted to go to the dentist again and she said, "Oh sure! I will let the dentist clean my teeth with a special toothbrush. I'm not scared. Only babies don't open their mouths and say MMMM!" (I guess 6 months ago she was still a baby?)
So I called the dentist to schedule an appointment, and they happened to have one for the next day. Eliana was ready to go right away, and kept rehearsing all that would happen at the dentist's office.
This morning, she wanted to go first thing, but her appointment was at 10. At 9:30, when it was time to go, she was resistant. I explained that we couldn't stay and play, even if she didn't go to the dentist, so she needed to get in the car. Then she said, "When the woman says, 'let's clean your teeth using my special toothbrush, then you can have a prize (all said using a very sweet voice),' I will say, 'NO WAY!! HIYAAAH!!'" followed by a karate chop and a kick. It was so funny and unexpected I nearly lost it and laughed out loud. I told her that she could do that, but then she would have the consequence of no movies and no games for the rest of the day. I told her we were getting in the car and that maybe she would change her mind on the way and decide to be nice.
As we were pulling into the office parking lot she said, "I changed my mind. I will be nice at the dentist." She kept her word. She was a model patient, and even held still for x-rays and fluoride. No karate chopping was involved. No cavities, either (thank goodness). She got to choose four prizes, and seemed pleased with herself for doing so well. I was proud too (and more than a little relieved). :)
8 comments:
HYAH!!! That's awesome.
She is so funny! I bet there is never a dull moment with her around!
Mille had her first visit to the dentist last week...everything went well except she would not let the hygenist put the little bib around her neck. I say, if that's the biggest problem then we're in good shape! PS Thank goodness for tv's in the ceiling these days! But wouldn't it have been even a little funny to see her try to karate chop the dentist???
Yay! Cohen did really well with his first appointments but the last one they tried xrays and I was tending to Keira so I really had a hard time reassuring him, then when the dentist came to look w/ his mirror he said... "don't take my teeth out!" Then I tried to floss his teeth and he said "don't cut my teeth!" I'm wondering if he got that from nemo
Whew! I'm glad it all went well!
I gotta admit, I'd be afraid if I were Eliana's dentist.
good for her :)
Hyah!!
Oh, my goodness. I am still chuckling over her karate chop comment. You have a lot of patience, and I love reading about your daily adventures. Keep those blog posts coming!!
Great-Grandma Betty
Post a Comment