At times, however, I still forget she is so young. She talks like a four year old and is displays many behaviors of a much older child that I am taken aback when she throws tantrums or has trouble sharing.
She was born with an iron will, which I know will be a great thing someday (it's just a little frustrating right now). She is a very compassionate person, though her desire to get what she wants sometimes gets in the way. She is so creative. She loves to make up stories, play out elaborate scenes, make up songs, etc. She also loves to dance. She has loved dancing from the moment she figured out how to move to the beat. We gave her tap shoes for Christmas and a ballet outfit for her birthday--she is in little girl heaven. She watches clips from Shirley Temple movies on YouTube and tries to copy her. She has a great sense of humor, and loves to laugh. Sometimes we have epic battles of will, which leave us both distraught and in need of a time out, but we get through it. I am a first time parent, so I make plenty of mistakes. She always forgives me and gives the best, most genuine hugs, that make it all worthwhile.
Here are some of the things that distinguish Eliana for the moment:
- she loves to wear dresses and skirts. She would wear one (or both) every single day. Before I caught on and started buying more, she would dig out the same two skirts and put them on over whatever else she was wearing.
- she loves to sing and dance. She can carry a tune very well (she has since she was 15 months old or so), and learns best through song.
- she loves stories. She loves it when I read her stories, when she "reads" me stories, and when I tell her "pretend" stories (which, ironically enough, are real life stories I tell her, but I'm not reading from a book)
- she loves to jump on trampolines. We got her a little personal exercise trampoline for Christmas, and she jumped 168 times before Darryl got sick of counting.
- she loves cold weather. She always tells me to turn down the heat in car, tries to play outside with no shoes or jacket, always wants to wear short-sleeved shirts and shorts, etc.
- she likes to "tickle" my lips when she needs comfort (at least she doesn't have to fall asleep this way anymore. We've come a long way. :)
- she love to have her hair done "like a princess," but hates it when I brush her hair
- she loves to work in the garage with Darryl. She pretends to fix things all over the house.
- she is still allergic to dairy, but less so. She ate some ice cream today, though, and it's already coming back to haunt us. At least now she understands the consequences and makes the choice willingly.
- she always calls for Darryl when she wakes up in the night (which thankfully is not every night, but still more often than she should).
On to the pictures. Here is the cake Shelly and I (but mostly Shelly) made for her party. For the unacquainted, this is Abby Caddabby, a fairy-in-training on Sesame Street.
5 comments:
Crap. I can't believe you made that cake. I think I will have to take the birthday cake that I made off on my blog because it doesn't compare. Kidding but really, WOW.
Wow, she's so big. I've always been amazed by her intelligence! What a beautiful little girly girl.
Looks like she had a great birthday and the cake looks great! Hey, are you guys still coming up this week? We would love to see you!!
happy birthday to eliana! i can't believe it. i still picture you with her as a tiny little thing.
it's so great to see pictures of everyone. i miss you and your family quite a bit.
love,
elaine
also, even though i have spent quite a lot of time on the internet, i can't seem to help signing things: "love, elaine"
haha. it's true though.
Post a Comment