My sister Lauren had her first baby early this morning (December 22, 2008) after nearly 24 hours of grueling labor. She was having a lot of consistent, long contractions, but wasn't dilating. After about 12 hours of labor they gave her an epidural, in hopes that it would help her relax. They also gave her pitocin and broke her water. A few hours later she had a fever (I think she may have had a fever before they broke her water, but I'm not sure). The fever didn't clear up, so they started IV antibiotics. Amidst it all, she tried to get some sleep here and there (since she had been up since 4:00 am). I was coming and going, but my mom, Jex, and Linda (Jex's mom) were there the whole time. My dad was also there for most of labor, but went home to check on Jessie and to sleep a bit. My mom called me at nearly 2:00 am and said Lauren was fully dilated. I drove to the hospital and arrived just before she started pushing. At this point Lauren had a whole roomful of support (Jex, Mom, Dad, me, Linda, Shaun and his wife). It was funny, because we were all breathing with Lauren. Once she got the hang of pushing, things went quickly. Dr. Thompson arrived just as the baby was crowning. I think she pushed twice after the Dr. arrived--once to get the head out, and once for the rest of him. The cord was wrapped around his neck twice, but he was fine. In fact, he opened one eye and looked around before he was completely out. :)
It was so amazing to be present for the birth. There is something magical about seeing life emerging, and witnessing a baby's first breath. The whole process is miraculous. Thank-you Lauren, for letting me be a part of your special day.
9 comments:
Congratulations! I let my little sister watch me give birth to Bennett, so I tell her she owes me. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who is irritated at how Blogger uploads pictures. Also, Brian gave me a yogurt maker for Christmas last year that I still haven't broken out. Wanna try it out some time? And you made bagels!?
Okay, sorry to disappoint, but that wasn't Therese. It was me on her computer. Sorry.
I'm glad everyone's safe and sound. How did your Mom do during the labor? Congrats to Lauren and Jex and all, and let me know where I can see pix--maybe on my family.com?
xo,
Lara
p.s.--and thanks for your addition to the food credo. I love your contribution.
I know a photographer, who desperately wants pictures of newborns for her portfolio... who will take pictures for 1/2 off prints, at cost canvas prints, and no session fee.
Just saying.
so excited for her! I'm so glad that you got to see her give birth...it's such an amazing experience. No matter how many of your own you have...it's different to watch it from the "outside". COngrats to Lauren and Jex!
Yay, congrats auntie!
How fun for you! I have seen a few of my neices/nephews born too & it is really a miracle. I think I cried everytime from the overwhelming feelings. Congratulations to your sister! It will be so fun to have more cousins for your kids!
Hooray! I'm so happy for Lauren. I'm a slacker and this is my first time looking at your blog. I was feeling anti-internet for a while. It's great to hear what you're up to and see pictures of the family. I'll be in SLC/Sundance from 1/12 to 1/20. You'll probably be in St George but just in case.
Also, Asher is a fantastic name. It happens to be one of my favorite names... even before I met my boyfriend, Asher. :) Give everyone my love.
What a great name:)
Post a Comment