Thursday, September 6, 2007

Church History Outings

As some of you know, my friend Karen Munoz is staying with us for a few months. She's visiting from Chile. We decided that no trip to Utah would be complete without seeing the "Mormon" sights, so we started with a hike to Ensign peak. Eliana loves her sweet ride.


We went to the Church Museum of Art and History on Labor Day. I had never been before, believe it or not, and really enjoyed it. They have a great children's interactive section. Here Eliana dressed as a shepherd for the Nativity scene, but didn't want to stand by the manger for a picture.
Part of the children's section is set up like the nursery inside a hospital. Eliana loved playing with the baby dolls and insisted on carrying around the biggest, heaviest, most life-like doll there. She could barely walk with it because it was so heavy.
Here is part of the original manuscripts of the Book of Mormon.
We also took a tour of temple square (on a different day). I didn't get to hear much of the tour, since Eliana doesn't really like to hold still ever, but the parts I heard were full of false doctrine! The missionary giving the tour was from Spain (and was giving the tour in Spanish). Her companion was from Scotland and didn't speak Spanish. One example of the misinformation: when explaining the purpose of the Tabernacle, she said, "the prophet can't receive revelation everyday. God speaks to him twice a year for General Conference..." What?!?! The prophet can receive revelation whenever the Lord sees fit. Karen and I nearly jumped in and took over the tour.


Here are some more pictures from the museum:







4 comments:

Megan said...

you guys got some cute pictures...sounds like a fun tour, except for the false doctrine. Yikes! Tell Karin hi!

MarciaAnne said...

You guys should come out to Nauvoo, and I can show you around the sites here.

shaunita said...

We really, really want to do that soon. We just need to save our pennies. Could you throw in some misinformation on the tour just to make us feel at home? :)

MarciaAnne said...

We can provide housing, you just make it here! I most certainly can throw some false doctrine in there, especially if you attend church meetings. :P