Sunday, January 12, 2014

Some goals

Well, it's that time of year again.  Time to assess, to plan, to aspire.  2013 wasn't my best year.  I had a lot of struggles with depression, and I'm not sure how successfully I dealt with them.  That's one weird thing about depression--it's really hard to self-evaluate, because in the moment all happy memories vanish and you feel like you've always felt empty and sluggish.  I know that's not the case.  I have spent a lot of time arguing with my negative thoughts and valiantly fighting against the pull to let sadness overtake me.

Anyway, I've been thinking about things that will help me this year, and have come up with some goals.

1. blog weekly. Having a record of the good times will help, I think, to counteract the negative.
2. make home movies of the kids each sunday.  mainly for the same reason, but also because they are growing up so fast.
3. Do some sort of physical activity daily.  I do much better when I get consistent exercise.
4. Practice gratitude daily.  I want to keep a record in my journal of things I am grateful for each day to get my head in the right place
5. Read scriptures daily.  This is another daily practice that helps me focus on the right things.
6. Plan outings with the kids so I don't isolate myself at home.

Hopefully I'll check back in periodically and report on my progress.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Very good (achievable!) goals. I haven't written any down yet, and it's halfway through January. *sigh*