I'm having a hard time letting go of work today. I had a session with a new client today and I just can't seem to get her off my mind.
Some people have to deal with so much pain and sorrow and hardship in this life. I feel so inadequate at times (like today) when people come to me seeking help with their problems. They look at me expectantly...hopefully...searching for a solution to their problems they hope I can provide. And I feel my own limitations so acutely. I want to make their pain and problems all go away. But I can't. I want to pull the bad memories from them, like draining poison from a wound. But I can't do that either. I want to help them see the value of life--of their own life--and understand the void that would be left behind if they were no longer here. I can try.
I can give space for their sorrow. I can listen. I can offer perspective. I can offer empathy. But then they walk out of my office and I have to hope and pray that they can keep pushing through another week. I have to let go. It's hard sometimes. It's hard tonight.
1 comment:
man. that is why I was afraid of being a social worker. But I am glad you have the courage to do it. People need it, they need you, and a lot of times that is the difference-- that someone is willing to be there each week, for them.
Post a Comment