Since this year is going to be a lean Christmas for us, I figure we better make up for it with tradition. We spent Thanksgiving with the Zitting clan at the ranch and had a great time, as usual. I really wanted some leftover turkey (and found a $6 turkey @ Smith's), so I decided to roast my first turkey ever. I meticulously followed directions from a woman in my neighborhood who sells her homemade brine packets for $2, and the turkey was great (if I do say so myself). I even made pan gravy (also a first. Hey, I don't eat a lot of meat and collecting squash drippings doesn't sound quite as appealing).
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
A turkey and a tree
I apologize to any readers of this blog left on the edge of their seats since I've stopped posting regularly. I've gone back to work a few evenings a week, which has gobbled up my free time (and energy).
Since this year is going to be a lean Christmas for us, I figure we better make up for it with tradition. We spent Thanksgiving with the Zitting clan at the ranch and had a great time, as usual. I really wanted some leftover turkey (and found a $6 turkey @ Smith's), so I decided to roast my first turkey ever. I meticulously followed directions from a woman in my neighborhood who sells her homemade brine packets for $2, and the turkey was great (if I do say so myself). I even made pan gravy (also a first. Hey, I don't eat a lot of meat and collecting squash drippings doesn't sound quite as appealing).
Last night we got out the Christmas decorations and set up our eclectic manger scene...
...and decorated the tree. We bought a $10 permit from the forest service to cut this beauty down from it's happy mountain home. Darryl and I were both a little hesitant to kill such a fine looking tree, but it was our only option this year.
I'll try to post a picture of the finished tree soon. This picture also illustrates Eliana's new haircut! Last week I finally decided that I had had enough of trying to fight my way through the tangles in her long, beautiful hair (if we didn't comb through it in the tub, the battle resulted in screaming and 4-year-old profanity). We both agreed that a haircut would be best. Both she and I agree that her new do is cute AND easy to do. She looks more grown up to me, but let's face facts, she's nearly five.
Since this year is going to be a lean Christmas for us, I figure we better make up for it with tradition. We spent Thanksgiving with the Zitting clan at the ranch and had a great time, as usual. I really wanted some leftover turkey (and found a $6 turkey @ Smith's), so I decided to roast my first turkey ever. I meticulously followed directions from a woman in my neighborhood who sells her homemade brine packets for $2, and the turkey was great (if I do say so myself). I even made pan gravy (also a first. Hey, I don't eat a lot of meat and collecting squash drippings doesn't sound quite as appealing).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yeah! Glad your tree is up. I need to do the Christmas village today.
Cute haircut! Wishing you all a lovely holiday season. I would love to see a close-up of your manger scene. It makes me happy every year.
Post a Comment