Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Stretching and growing


I figured I had better take at least one belly shot of this baby, lest she feel over-looked and neglected before she is even born. :) This is me at 30 weeks. Only 10 (approx.) to go. Crazy.
Anyway, on Sunday in Relief Society we had a lesson on setting and achieving goals. One of the steps listed was to report on your progress. I feel like now would be a good time to report on one goal I've had lately.
I decided a while back that I wanted to develop my musical talents by focusing on singing. So I joined a community choir in January. It has been so much fun! Now for the stretching and growing part. When I auditioned for the choir, I put that I am an alto, but I can sing second soprano, if needed. Well, the director had me audition as a soprano. I have really enjoyed embracing my mezzo-soprano voice, even though I nearly dropped out of the choir when I was assigned to the soprano section.
The next goal I set was to sing a solo in church. I have sung a lot of duets, small group arrangements and choral numbers through the years, but never a solo. I guess I've always been afraid of being the focus of attention up there. I sang a couple of months ago, and also really enjoyed that experience.
There were a couple of small solo parts for the last concert I sang with the community choir, and I decided at the last second to audition for one--mainly because the thought terrified me. I figured I better keep my fear in check. I ended up getting the part, and sang the solo on Saturday.
So I am overcoming my fears and doing things I've always wanted to do, but I've always been too chicken to try. Take that, fear!



8 comments:

Aubrey said...

Super cute belly!!

Mary said...

Ha ha! Take that! Good for you. I have the same fear (and goals for singing). So stretching and growing isn't only for the fetus, eh? (BTW, you are glowing!)

Elaine said...

yay for the belly photo! you look great!

Elaine said...

and congratulations on overcoming your fears! fun and personal growth all wrapped together :D

Kristi said...

Such a cute belly! I am so excited for you guys. As for the singing part - good for you! I couldn't sing if my life depended on it. Miss you guys - we are coming to the Ranch for Turkey Day - what are you doing?

Rachael said...

Way to go!! I am so proud of you. Life is totally about conquering our fears and developing our talents. And I am so happy that it is making you happy! What choir is it? I wish I could have heard you.
by the way, I am going to be in town from Nov. 20- Dec. 2. I would love to see you as much as I can!
I remember when my mom auditioned for the southern utah heritage choir. She had just gotten off the night shift and she was tired..but she had made a goal and she loved music. She made it in, and now 12 years later it is one of the most rewarding parts of her life and she has traveled to China and Armenia and all over the country with them.

Beka said...

I'm so very always proud of you! Way to stick it to fear! I could take some lessons.

Forsberg's said...

CONGRATS! I haven't read your blog forever so I didn't realize you were pregnant. You look so tiny and cute.