Sunday, November 29, 2009

Some thoughts on Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, and I feel like it often gets the short end of the stick. Retailers have decided to skip the holiday all together (grocers put up large displays to make it more obvious which food you need to purchase, but the stores are all decked out in Christmas finery). I guess it's not commercial enough. I mean, how many centerpiece displays or cooking gadgets can one person buy? Most of the adds that come out around Thanksgiving focus on Black Friday. I only recently discovered that its name comes from the earning potential of the day--I always associated it with the anti-Christmas sentiments displayed as people push and shove others out of the way so they can get the best deal on the coolest whatevers, so black seemed appropriate.

We need Thanksgiving. It's a time to reflect and give thanks. A time to be with our families, which are increasingly spread out across the country (and the world). A time to eat American food in its proper season. A time to cook at home. A time to pause before the whirlwind of activity that is December.

So, three cheers for Thanksgiving. Hope you all had a good one. I sure enjoyed mine.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed!

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

well said and very true!! I hope you had a good one!

lara said...

Amen!

Jamie said...

We had fun too! It was great and now I can turn on my Christmas lights.

Rachael said...

Here Here! Can I get an Amen! I agree with all my heart. This is my mother's favorite holiday because it is all about gratitude and family without the stress!

Jennifer Darger said...

I agree, Shauna. These days it's just, "Hurry & eat your turkey so you can SHOP!" Fashion Place mall even opened their Black Friday sales at 9pm Thanksgiving night! Though I love Christmas, it's becoming too stressful. Thanksgiving is a holiday to reflect and be thoughtful without all the added stress.

Bromleys said...

Amen sister!

Beka said...

I think at best Black Friday has a double meaning...at least in my book.:)