Most of the kids in her grade in our neighborhood are in the Chinese program. It's cool to hear them already using Chinese words and phrases. The Chinese teacher never speaks English in front of the children, and after January, the kids aren't allowed to speak English in the Chinese classroom.
I'm excited for Eliana to have this opportunity, and I've been studying Mandarin Chinese too. I've always (since I was about 8) wanted to learn Chinese, so I figured now is the perfect time to start.
I had friend in grade school named Lily Yuan. She taught me how to write some Chinese characters, along with some basic words and phrases. I loved hanging out with her family. They had a computer IN THEIR APARTMENT, which was extremely rare at the time. No one else I knew had one. Her mom made the best dumplings.
Anyway, this is shaping up to be a great year for Eliana.
William got accepted into the UPSTART program, so I'm doing on-line preschool at home with him. He's already progressing so much. The other day he picked up a block and said, "here's a J for J-J-Jet and J-J-Jellybeans." I asked him if he could think of an animal that starts with that letter and he said, "Yeah! A J-J-Jaguar!" This is huge for him. He's not really been interested in learning his letter sounds or recognizing letters. I love watching him learn and apply things he is learning.
Lizzie thinks she should be starting pre-school. She sings the entire alphabet song and doesn't miss a letter. She can sign quite a few of the letters, and she knows her colors and can count. She likes to watch the stuff Will does on the computer. She can draw circles and does pretend writing.

No comments:
Post a Comment