Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Details

Skip to the next post if you are not interested in the birth story. There. You have been warned.





So here are the details for those interested. I had been having contractions for about a week and a half (nothing painful, just sort of annoying), but they never really settled into a pattern or got any stronger. On Monday I went to my prenatal appointment and was 3 cm dilated (the dr. called it 3 +). Thursday morning I had a sudden urge to get everything in my house ready. I made Darryl put the crib together, the kids and I finally took down the Christmas decorations, and we got the baby room ready (which meant moving Will into Eliana's room). I went to work at 4:30, ducked out to get a haircut at 6:00, and finished working at 8:00 (all p.m.). After work, I dropped by the hospital to see my grandpa who had just had surgery. My contractions were getting stronger by this point, and I joked with my mom that we might have a baby later (she had been up since 4 a.m. getting my grandpa ready to be at the hospital at 5-something a.m.).



I drove home to meet some friends who were coming over for a girls' night to make soap at 9. We had a good time laughing about how I might be able to squeeze her out before mid-night and timing contractions.



Darryl was just getting ready to climb in bed when I had a contraction pattern of 4 min., then 3 min., then 2 min. I grabbed my bag and convinced Darryl it was time to go to the hospital.



We got there at 10 p.m. and luckily had a great nurse who recognized that the baby was coming fast. She called the doctor right away (who was just getting home from Filmore) and got us into a labor and delivery room. I was a 6+ when we got to the hospital.



My water broke shortly after I got to the room. My back hurt during contractions so the nurse suggested I get on my hands and knees, which felt much better. The doctor was okay with delivering that way, which was a wild experience.

She had the cord wrapped once around her neck, and didn't really cry after she was born. They checked her oxygen levels, which were fine. Turns out, she's just not a crier (so far). Her eyes were open and she was looking around at everything.

Everyone at the hospital was so kind and helpful. It was a great experience.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Shauna! Not many doc's let you birth in different positions other then the standard. Congrats & I can't wait to meet her!

Kristi said...

Congratulations again! She is so cute!! The top picture of the last post makes me think of Eliana. I can't wait to meet her in person one day. So happy she is finally here!

Bromleys said...

Wow!!! I like hearing the birth details, so I'm glad you posted. She is so stinking cute. You and Darryl make cute ones!

Rachael said...

what the heck with the short labor! I am happy for you. I only hope I am as lucky with my next one (which is not in the works yet, just to be clear). Glad everything is going well.

The Johnsons said...

Wow...no complaining? I think you must be 100% tougher than me! Is tougher a word? :) Congrats. I love her name...To bad you guys broke the trend of us having the same gender child with in a few months of each other EVERY time!! Tell us when you're planning on number 4 :)

We will see you in the summer! We'll be the ones chasing around a little crawler at that point (I'm assuming)and you probably will too because your children are awesome and seem to hit those milestones early!!

Shelby and Johnny Family said...

Wow!! So happy for you! She is such a doll and I can't believe how fast your delivery was after you got to the hospital. Glad that everything turned out all right! You will have to keep us posted on how it's going being a mommy of 3!