Last night my friend* and I got chatting in the parking lot of a local high school after our community choir practice. Our practice ended at around 10:20 pm, and when we finished gabbing it was around 10:45. We got in our cars to leave only to find the gate we normally leave through had been locked. D'oh! I got out to check to see if there were any janitorial staff left in the school. The doors were locked. So, we noticed another road and decided to give it a go. It lead to the other parking lot, which would have allowed us to escape--except that the way was blockaded with another chain and padlock. My friend got out of her car to see if we could get out by driving over the grass.
While she was exploring, I said a quick prayer asking for help to get out of a dumb situation, yet again. I then got out to see if anyone was hanging around the other side of the school. I saw a group of people clustered by the front entrance, but as I got closer I noticed they were all young kids. I headed back to my car (with them yelling, "Run!!" after me).
At this point, another car pulled into the parking lot, near where we were (but on the right side of the chain). I felt like I should get their attention (I could tell they were adults). I flagged them down, and they were kind enough to try to help us in our hour of need. One man said he thought we could get through the posts on the sidewalk that are installed to prevent cars going through. We were skeptical, but he pointed out that it looked like a car had gone through before. He measured the distance with his feet, then measured the width of our cars and said it checked out. I was still skeptical, and called Darryl to have him look up the number for the police department, so at least I wouldn't have to call 911 and be recorded sounding like a total idiot. Anyway, the man bent the sign out of the way, then guided my friend through the gap. She made it, without any scratches! My car is huge, so I wasn't sure it would fit so nicely. But I also made it through scratch free. The stranger bent the sign back into place, and we all went on our merry way.
Moral of the story? God can get you out of even the silliest of situations. Also, make sure to leave the parking lot before chatting!
She shall remain anonymous on the web unless she chooses to identify herself.
2 comments:
How silly that someone would lock the exit while there were still cars there (especially with people standing by the cars). I would think they would do a quick check before locking up, and tell you to move your car. Good thing you got out... It would have been a long night in the PVHS parking lot.
I'm glad you are okay. That's a bit scary!
Post a Comment