Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Satisfying my inner hippie (and chemist)

Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living by Annie Berthold-Bond


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
While I recognize this book is not for everyone, I've been thoroughly enjoying it. The recipes are clear, easy to follow, and (most) are quick and simple. While I am not yet ready to give up antiperspirant, I have made toothpaste, facial toners, laundry boosters, and an antiseptic bathroom cleanser. A friend an I are going to make soap this week. I even gave myself a natural facial...ahhhhh...divine!

For me, making my own stuff has all the appeal of baking, but without the calories. Plus, I feel like I am sticking a finger in "the man's" eye by making my own products.

This book is more of a reference manual than a book to pick up and read through. But if you're considering dabbling in kitchen cosmetics or homemade household cleaning supplies, I highly recommend it.

View all my reviews >>

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Deodorant stick it to the man!

Should there ever be an earthquake while I am visiting St. George, and there is no access to grocery stores...I am coming to your house!

Mary said...

That sounds very cool. I'll have to pick it up.

Shelly said...

I am a little bit embarrassed and a little bit proud to say I made deodorant yesterday. Visually and texturally, it turned out great. I'm trying it today, so I'll let you know how it is functionally speaking. It isn't an antiperspirant, so I'm not sure I'm committed to using it during the summer. On the other hand, I sweat buckets even with antiperspirant, so maybe it would be okay.

Shelly said...

p.s. I love this book. And the more I use it and learn about the various ingredients and their properties, the more I love it.

Jennifer Darger said...

Shauna, you are so funny! And while I do wish I were still as "natural" as I have been in the past...I'm not. Good for you! But maybe I could try it again sometime. Thanks for the recomendation.

Kaje said...

So cool! I want to get this book now.