Sunday, February 2, 2014

Come Away With Me

Darryl and I  celebrated our ten year anniversary on December 27.  It's not a very convenient time to get away, and even less so this year since we were all sick with influenza.  So we decided to postpone the festivities.

We went to Vegas together while Stephy (Kim's sister) and my mom took care of the kids.  We stayed at the Luxor, which was in dire need of updating.  We wanted to stay there, because we were planning on seeing some museum exhibits there.  Darryl and I both enjoy museums, and never seem to have as much time as we would like when we go with others, so we figured it would be a good time to go and soak it all in.

We saw the Bodies exhibit first, which was fascinating and deeply disturbing at the same time.  One of the curators told us all of the bodies had been donated to science in China.  I am highly skeptical about the "voluntary" nature of the transactions.  Also, even if they were all really donated for scientific study, I am sure being on display for american tourists is not what they had in mind.  But, it was so interesting to see and read about systems in the body that I had only seen in 2-dimensional textbooks.

The other exhibit we saw contained a lot of artifacts recovered from the wreckage of the Titanic.  Turns out, dishes hold up really well in sea water for extended periods of time.  This exhibit was also very interesting, but depressing.  It was hard to read about the lives of people who lost their lives and see little scraps of their remaining possessions.

We also ate a lot of really good food!  I love spending time with Darryl, and I'm so glad we're married.  I was looking back at our goals we set five years ago, and we did pretty well.  The only one we didn't do was travel to a new country.  We'll fix that in the next five years :)  We didn't foresee getting furloughed, then laid off, then starting our own business.  It's been a great ride, though, and the Lord has watched over our family during it all.

No comments: