Sunday, May 27, 2012

Midnight 5K/plant-strong diet

Back in December I decided enough was enough.  I had been getting sinus infections all the time, even after having surgery in August.  My doctors kept prescribing antibiotics and steroids.  The medicine helped for a little while, but then I'd get sick again.  I remembered that the last time I had success staying free of sinus infections I was dairy free and eating very little sugar.  So I decided to try a change in diet again to see if I could get healthy.  I cut out dairy and refined sugars, and have done very little cheating.  I cut way back on meat as well (I wasn't eating a ton, but I'd have fish now and then, and the occasional turkey or chicken sandwich) and have tried to eat more whole grains.

I feel great.  After 6 weeks, my sinuses were so much better.  I lost ten pounds, along with inches on my waistline (I haven't measured, but I went from wearing a size 6/8 to size 2/4).

On Friday night I ran a 5k with Shelly at 11 pm.  It was so much fun.  I have been running three mornings/week with some friends in my neighborhood.  We run about three miles each time.  I decided to push myself this race and see if I could finish faster than the 31-32 minutes I usually get when I run 5ks.  As I neared the finish line I could see that the clock read 20-something, so I sprinted in hoping to get under 30 minutes.  I finished at 28:18, which is the fastest I've run a 5k since I was a teenager.

My mom has been eating a "plant-strong" diet (very little animal products, no refined sugar) for a few months now, and it's been fun exchanging recipes.  She made the switch to try to keep her cancer at bay.  She had surgery a few weeks ago to remove the last two growths on her liver.

She wants to run a triathlon with me this September, since October will mark ten years since her cancer was discovered.  I'm hoping to take 30 minutes off last year's time.  I'm hoping 15 minutes can come off from my super long transition times, and 15 by doing each event 5 minutes faster.

No comments: