Saturday, April 17, 2010

A spectacular failure

Oh the joys of trying new things! Some friends and I decided to try to make our own cheese. The recipe seemed simple enough, but we should have been tipped off by the 16 pages of trouble-shooting hints. These pictures are a bit out of order. Sorry.

Here is Angie showing off her lovely cheese-like spread.
Here is the milk pulling away from the pan, just as it should.

Here is the step we all reached where our cheese failed to turn into string-like mozzarella and we had to just salt it and pretend we really intended to make ricotta cheese all along.
This picture is to illustrate how much milk went into making our ricotta.


Three of us tried, and three of us failed, all in the same way. The problem, I think, was in our inability to accurately measure the temperature of the milk. We were supposed to add different things in at different temperatures, but our newly purchased thermometer read the temperature of ice water as 40 degrees.
Another problem seemed to be the microwaving step. My cheese was looking good--even a bit stringy--until I stuck it in the microwave (as per the instructions). I then turned into lumpy curds and never recovered. Maybe my microwave is extra powerful, or maybe we were supposed to use a lower power setting. Who knows. Jamie and Shelly were going to try it again at their homes with more accurate thermometers, etc. I'm sure at least one of them will succeed.
Meanwhile, if any of you have successfully made cheese, or happen to see a fatal flaw in our process, please let me know.



5 comments:

Jamie said...

I hope to try it tonight. Wish me luck!

Shelly said...

I found some instructions that were a little different (and seemed to be more precise), and I emailed them to Jamie. I'm crossing my fingers that it works for her...

lara said...

I've been trying, but haven't succeeded yet. Nor have I tried too hard yet. Let me know if you discover the secret.

Rachael said...

wow...when the world gets torn apart by some armageddon missile or monster and we are all forced to live in caves...I want to live with you and your home made soap and cheese. I think you have most of the survival skills down pretty well.

Bromleys said...

I got to say, The fact that you even tried is impressive in and of itself. Yeah Ricotta!